Taxicabs - driver's licence
Please follow the steps listed below when applying for a taxicab driver’s licence online:
Step 1: Review the Licence Requirements and Fees
Step 2: Obtain a criminal record search (CPIC).
If you have not already obtained a criminal record search issued within the last 60 days, you must do so online via the Kingston Police KPIC Portal.
Step 3: Obtain an Ontario driver's record.
If you have not already obtained an Ontario driver's record issued within the last 30 days, please note, the Kingston Area Taxi Commission will conduct the record search free of charge.
Step 4: Complete the Online Licence Application Form
Step 5: Check your email
Within 24 hours of your submission, you will receive an email confirming receipt of your application containing instructions and an application form. We recommend that you also check your spam folder.
Step 6: Gather your documents while we review
The Kingston Area Taxi Commission will review your application, records, and documents upon completion of the licence requirements and payment of the application fee. A decision will be emailed to you as soon as possible.
To apply for a taxicab driver’s licence you’ll need to submit:
- Proof that you’re at least 18 years old
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship, landed immigrant status or a valid work permit
- Valid Ontario driver’s licence, Class G minimum
- Ontario driver’s record completed in the last 30 days
- Original criminal record search issued within 60 days of application by Kingston Police or other police service in Ontario
- Name of the taxi brokerage you’re working for
- Your photo. If you apply in person we’ll take your photo. If you apply online you’ll need to upload a photo. Photos must:
- Be clear, sharp and in focus with no shadows or glare
- You must be looking at the camera with your face and shoulders centred in the photo and a neutral facial expression
Applying for a new taxi driver’s licence will cost $120. A non-refundable application fee of $25 must be paid in advance prior to processing your application. This application fee will be credited towards the total licence fee. Fees are payable by Debit, Visa, MasterCard, or AMEX.